Skip to main content

Some Forward Progress, Finally

Trying different color approaches using
open acrylics and composition #7.
Recently I realized it might make sense for me to have three painting projects going on at a time: a landscape, a floral, and a still life to use as a vehicle to hone my skills. I've never been one to work on multiple paintings as I get confused (read frustrated) easily, and I haven't had enough time to work this way. (OK, I admit, I haven't prioritized enough time to do that. I could have easily fit in some art time by not watching Big Bang Theory reruns.)

Trying two versions of my scene, one that
focuses on the sky and one that focuses
on the land. 
Here's the interesting part—I'm already starting down this path, almost by accident. I finished composition #9, which is round two of trying to figure out a scene from Arches National Park. I think I'm getting somewhere! I like the second version better, which surprised me as it was the sky that originally drew me to the scene. I have some other photos where the land formations depicted here are easier to see, so now I need to find those and refine this composition further. I'm hoping to really draw the eye to the focal area while keeping the rest of the scene chill. 

Once I have this composition/value study where I want it, I plan to use it for painting/medium experimentation. I have some ideas in my head, and I want to see how I can push them to really express myself. I'm actually looking forward to this instead of forcing myself into my studio to "do some real work." This sounds like fun, and having fun has been one of my goals for my art. 

And I've been working from composition #7 to paint pears, trying to teach myself how to use acrylics. The four above were painting using the three regular acrylics from my Golden Explorer kit I bought at the beginning of the Covid-19 shelter in place. I've been slowly working through some of Golden's projects, getting a feel for this fast-drying, vibrant medium. Having a value study I like has made a huge difference. I know it works, so it's allowed me to work on color and expression. The four-pear pear piece is small, 8" square, but it's kind of fun. I can see doing more of these in the future. And just for giggles, I went ahead and did a quick study in watercolor. The color isn't as vibrant or interesting, but I got the value the way I wanted it from the start, something I've really been struggling with in watercolor, where it's so easy to have a washed out painting. 

And lastly, there is a floral roaming around my brain. This time, I know what I want to express, but I have no idea how to do it. Need to start working on that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring"Flow" Show Features Three of My Paintings

In January I embarked on a new self-imposed oil painting project/collection, with the goal of down-selecting three paintings for Dreama Tolle Perry's spring Flow membership  art show. Picking a subject for a collection and staying focused was a challenge for me; my mind is usually racing around in a million artistic directions. I knew I wanted something static, that I could work on without it changing. Fake flowers as a still life were the perfect choice! They wouldn't wilt in the direct studio light, and I could make them do whatever I wanted. Still, I wanted it to be simple, so I refined my collection subject a step further.  From left to right: Rose-Bauer Duet (oil, 6"x8"), Voodoo (oil, 6"x8"), and Peace (oil, 6"x6"). I own a single beautiful silk rose, bought at a specialty store last year. If I had to guess, it's modeled on the Peace hybrid tea rose. So I decided all ten of my paintings for the collection would be based on this single r

Mean Critic Meets Scary Progress

I'm continuing to work on my value studies and bouncing all over the place, both with subject and with medium. I swear that one of these days I'll find my lane. There are things I like and dislike about oils, acrylic, and watercolor. There's not a perfect medium, but oils sure are easier for working on composition and value.  As the year is coming to an end, I'm wrapping some things up and getting ready to launch other things. I went through my last three years of paintings (about 150) and categorized them as keep for myself, make available for gifts or purchase, or repurpose (at first I had labeled them trash, but that just seemed so mean, and I really can use the paper for other things). With the gift/sell category, I created a PowerPoint file with all available paintings, categorized by subject. Each was labeled and priced...a scary declaration on my part that my creativity is valuable. In the coming year, I will use this file to create a new website for my growing a

Her Rose, My Rose

 As mentioned in my last post, I've signed up for Dreama Tolle Perry's Flow class. My intention with this class is to watch one of her demos and replay it while I paint along with it, recreating "her" painting. Then I plan to take what I learned in that demo and create "my" version. Eventually, I'd like to paint my version in oil, acrylics, and watercolor...trying to figure out which medium I prefer.  The first oil painting demo I chose to watch was a backlit rose in a small glass jar. I love roses, and when I ventured into oils the first time, I painted a lovely rose from my garden. This is the only painting from that era that I liked. As a side note, I have nine hybrid tea roses and four floribundas around the house. And since I'm in northern California, there are blooms on these plants for nine months out of the year! What a treat.  I really should paint these beauties more often.  I'm happy with both paintings but for different reasons. The p