Skip to main content

Anger, Covid-19, and Art

Untitled. Abstract following composition #11,
trying to find some peace and joy in these crazy times.
This morning I woke up angry. It started with the crow at 5 a.m., and I never got back to sleep. But really it might have been the day before, when I went to work in my studio and decided on four things I wanted to get done. I tackled the hard one first, a full-scale drawing for a "real" painting I'm working on. That took an hour and a half, at which time I was tired, hungry, and had a headache. I never got back to the studio to finish the other three.

I enjoy drawing, and this morning when I looked at the drawing, it actually made me smile. So I'm not sure why I was so angry about my studio time yesterday. I drew on drawing paper instead of directly on my painting, so I can reuse it for future paintings. It was time well spent! I think my anger (maybe it's just frustration) has something to do with how "easy" making art is for everyone else and how challenging it is for me. I really want to just find the joy in art making (but I also want to create an awesome painting/masterpiece).

Of course, then there's everything in the world to be angry about: pandemic and death, violence and rioting, weak leadership. I guess today it was just overwhelming for me. So I reminded myself that the only thing I can control is myself (sort of, on a good day), and after breakfast, I went for a long walk, showered, then went back to the studio. This time, though, my goal was to enjoy myself, which meant NOT working on the "real" painting (stress! resistance! yes, fear, sigh) and instead doing something different.

Composition #11, a 5-minute abstract.
I challenged myself to create an abstract value study in a cruciform armature, and I gave myself only 5 minutes to get it done. I actually set my Apple watch, and when the alarm went off, I stopped. Not a brilliant value study but good enough to slap some crappy paint around.

The next part of the challenge was to pick a color palette from the crappy paint I have—odds and ends from other people, samples from who knows where, colors I would most likely not buy. One tube was a baby blue. Seriously! (Last week I was complaining to my husband that I must have bought the baby blue before I understood pigment and color mixing, but he informed me that he bought it 25 years ago because he wanted to paint a blue sky. Whew, that's bad. Like I said, crappy paint.)

I put on Sirius's The Blend and started painting, with only two goals: enjoy myself and follow the value study. And I'm happy to say, I did both! Even more astonishing, I like my little abstract painting, so much so that I signed it. And now I know that I need to practice signing, because that really didn't work out the way I envisioned.

All in all, despite all the emotional turmoil, I still managed to get a little art in, and I feel happier for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring"Flow" Show Features Three of My Paintings

In January I embarked on a new self-imposed oil painting project/collection, with the goal of down-selecting three paintings for Dreama Tolle Perry's spring Flow membership  art show. Picking a subject for a collection and staying focused was a challenge for me; my mind is usually racing around in a million artistic directions. I knew I wanted something static, that I could work on without it changing. Fake flowers as a still life were the perfect choice! They wouldn't wilt in the direct studio light, and I could make them do whatever I wanted. Still, I wanted it to be simple, so I refined my collection subject a step further.  From left to right: Rose-Bauer Duet (oil, 6"x8"), Voodoo (oil, 6"x8"), and Peace (oil, 6"x6"). I own a single beautiful silk rose, bought at a specialty store last year. If I had to guess, it's modeled on the Peace hybrid tea rose. So I decided all ten of my paintings for the collection would be based on this single r

Mean Critic Meets Scary Progress

I'm continuing to work on my value studies and bouncing all over the place, both with subject and with medium. I swear that one of these days I'll find my lane. There are things I like and dislike about oils, acrylic, and watercolor. There's not a perfect medium, but oils sure are easier for working on composition and value.  As the year is coming to an end, I'm wrapping some things up and getting ready to launch other things. I went through my last three years of paintings (about 150) and categorized them as keep for myself, make available for gifts or purchase, or repurpose (at first I had labeled them trash, but that just seemed so mean, and I really can use the paper for other things). With the gift/sell category, I created a PowerPoint file with all available paintings, categorized by subject. Each was labeled and priced...a scary declaration on my part that my creativity is valuable. In the coming year, I will use this file to create a new website for my growing a

Her Rose, My Rose

 As mentioned in my last post, I've signed up for Dreama Tolle Perry's Flow class. My intention with this class is to watch one of her demos and replay it while I paint along with it, recreating "her" painting. Then I plan to take what I learned in that demo and create "my" version. Eventually, I'd like to paint my version in oil, acrylics, and watercolor...trying to figure out which medium I prefer.  The first oil painting demo I chose to watch was a backlit rose in a small glass jar. I love roses, and when I ventured into oils the first time, I painted a lovely rose from my garden. This is the only painting from that era that I liked. As a side note, I have nine hybrid tea roses and four floribundas around the house. And since I'm in northern California, there are blooms on these plants for nine months out of the year! What a treat.  I really should paint these beauties more often.  I'm happy with both paintings but for different reasons. The p