Skip to main content

Foiled by Shadows

For composition #5, I searched the backyard again. (I miss Sycamore Grove park.) Not much in the backyard, especially at 4 pm, before the sun is low in the sky. This morning I had reread the section on armature in Ian Roberts' book, and I was looking for an armature that would hold my daily composition together. Something easy, preferably.

Composition #4, with mutated chair.
It turns out I had used a triangle armature (converging lines) without even thinking about it in my single pear composition (the two lines where the table top meets the wall). And my area of interest fell on those lines. These are all good things. I just wish I had done them on purpose instead of by accident. So when I set out to find something to work on in the backyard, I kept the possible armatures from the book in my head.

There were some nice shadows across the patio and sliding glass door, so I positioned one of our patio chairs in the light, half shade, half shadow, creating (so I thought), a nice L armature. Took me 1.5 hours to set up the composition, [poorly] draw it, and shade it. UGH. Next assignment, practice drawing those chair arms. I think that would greatly increase my seeing/drawing skills. And when all was said and done, I had an L armature, but the focal area, the chair, was not at the intersection but rather out on its own. FAIL.

So what happens in 1.5 hours of drawing? The shadows CHANGE. Not just a little change, a BIG change, like there weren't any more shadows on the chair. Luckily I had taken a photo of the scene when I first started drawing, so I could refer back to that. And this is where I learned just how inadequate my iPhone is for capturing a photo with the level of shadow detail I need for a value drawing. (I wonder if my expensive camera would be better. Another assignment.) The photo showed where the shadows were, but it didn't show the right values. How did I know? I used Ian's advice of looking at the current shadow in a similar place for value and color. What looked like black on my photo was really a dark gray and sometimes a mid gray. The photo just didn't have the information I needed. Lesson learned: a value drawing is what I'm going to need to make a good painting, not a quick photo from my phone.
Pear from composition #4 in different colors.
Not what I expected.

One last thing, to follow up on yesterday's post. I painted the pear with "wrong" colors, using a Bob Burridge color scheme. I thought I was being so daring but in reality I just moved one step on the color wheel to orange. And now my pear looks like a gourd. I think this would be great for a pumpkin, but my brain just says it's a "wrong" pear. I think I need to do something crazy, like make the pear magenta or turquoise. Another assignment! And maybe I could also consider a warm/cool color shift while painting. How many new assignments does that make? They are piling up, but I have to admit, I'm liking this self-directed learning, and I feel like I am making progress in my art, finally.

New assignments:
  • Practice drawing chair arms. 
  • Photograph same scene with RX100 and compare shadow results to iPhone photo.
  • Paint pear with REALLY weird colors, like maybe magenta or turquoise.
  • Paint pear with warms in the highlights and cools in the shadows, maybe in reds.
  • Paint pear with watercolors (previous post).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring"Flow" Show Features Three of My Paintings

In January I embarked on a new self-imposed oil painting project/collection, with the goal of down-selecting three paintings for Dreama Tolle Perry's spring Flow membership  art show. Picking a subject for a collection and staying focused was a challenge for me; my mind is usually racing around in a million artistic directions. I knew I wanted something static, that I could work on without it changing. Fake flowers as a still life were the perfect choice! They wouldn't wilt in the direct studio light, and I could make them do whatever I wanted. Still, I wanted it to be simple, so I refined my collection subject a step further.  From left to right: Rose-Bauer Duet (oil, 6"x8"), Voodoo (oil, 6"x8"), and Peace (oil, 6"x6"). I own a single beautiful silk rose, bought at a specialty store last year. If I had to guess, it's modeled on the Peace hybrid tea rose. So I decided all ten of my paintings for the collection would be based on this single r

Mean Critic Meets Scary Progress

I'm continuing to work on my value studies and bouncing all over the place, both with subject and with medium. I swear that one of these days I'll find my lane. There are things I like and dislike about oils, acrylic, and watercolor. There's not a perfect medium, but oils sure are easier for working on composition and value.  As the year is coming to an end, I'm wrapping some things up and getting ready to launch other things. I went through my last three years of paintings (about 150) and categorized them as keep for myself, make available for gifts or purchase, or repurpose (at first I had labeled them trash, but that just seemed so mean, and I really can use the paper for other things). With the gift/sell category, I created a PowerPoint file with all available paintings, categorized by subject. Each was labeled and priced...a scary declaration on my part that my creativity is valuable. In the coming year, I will use this file to create a new website for my growing a

Her Rose, My Rose

 As mentioned in my last post, I've signed up for Dreama Tolle Perry's Flow class. My intention with this class is to watch one of her demos and replay it while I paint along with it, recreating "her" painting. Then I plan to take what I learned in that demo and create "my" version. Eventually, I'd like to paint my version in oil, acrylics, and watercolor...trying to figure out which medium I prefer.  The first oil painting demo I chose to watch was a backlit rose in a small glass jar. I love roses, and when I ventured into oils the first time, I painted a lovely rose from my garden. This is the only painting from that era that I liked. As a side note, I have nine hybrid tea roses and four floribundas around the house. And since I'm in northern California, there are blooms on these plants for nine months out of the year! What a treat.  I really should paint these beauties more often.  I'm happy with both paintings but for different reasons. The p