Skip to main content

Complementary Hue/Value/Intensity Study

Progress on my value study a day? Slowed to a halt. But I have been making progress and moving forward on my goal of considering myself an artist by the time this Corona Virus ordeal is over. Mostly working on things that make me happy during this summer of staying home. No need to add any more stress to the anxiety we all already feel. 

For the past week, I've been using a previous value study to work on my my color theory knowledge while continuing to explore acrylics. I'm not a new-comer to color theory. It's a subject I love and find fascinating. But I will say, there's a difference between reading about it and actually using it for a painting.  I picked up a used copy of Stephen Quiller's Acrylic Painting Techniques, and I've been devouring it. (I have several other books by him; his theories aren't new to me, but they were challenging to use with watercolor). The first exercise asks you to paint six small, simple paintings using two complementary colors. I had to head down to my local art store, Way Up Art and Frame (so happy they're weathering these crazy times), to pick up seven tubes of paint to be able to flesh out my color wheel to match his. I'm glad this acrylic thing is still fascinating me because I now have A LOT of acrylic paint! Anyway, I decided to work my exercises with Pyrrole Orange and Phthalo Blue. Interesting combination; interesting outcomes. 

This was a fascinating exercise and much harder than I thought it was going to be. But, wow, I learned a lot. For each painting (5.5"x7.5"), I chose the value range and the intensity range, and decided if I was going to use white and black. It was a lot to think about before starting, but having done all that thinking, I found I could start focusing on the painting. I liked that a lot. I don't think any of these paintings is a masterpiece, nor do I think the color is very sophisticated, but I am really happy with how they came out, and they will now be on my studio wall for future reference. Here's my results:

  • Top, orange dominant: lighter value range (no black used), full intensity color plus white (tints).
  • Middle, orange dominant: darker value range, added black (shades), every color neutralized. 
  • Bottom, orange dominant: full value scale, used tints, tones (made from mixing blue and orange), and shades. 
  • Top, blue dominant: full value scale, all intensities, used gray but no black or white. 
  • Middle, blue dominant: darker value range, all neutralized color, added black.
  • Bottom, blue dominant: full value range, used a mixed gray as a "mother" color (some amount of gray in every color or color mix). 
So which do I like best? Hard to say. At first I hated the top orange, but it's kind of grown on me; it has its own charm. I also didn't like the middle blue; it's dark and creepy. But I think what's interesting is that it goes back to what Mike Bailey asks of all of his students...what is the mood? If I had said my mood was a happy, bright day, the first orange one would be perfect. If instead I was after something glum, the middle blue would be perfect. In the end, I think I like the last one the best, the one with the gray mother color. In fact, I like it enough that I'm going to paint one more in this series, a repeat of the bottom blue but with orange as the dominant instead. I'll get back to you!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring"Flow" Show Features Three of My Paintings

In January I embarked on a new self-imposed oil painting project/collection, with the goal of down-selecting three paintings for Dreama Tolle Perry's spring Flow membership  art show. Picking a subject for a collection and staying focused was a challenge for me; my mind is usually racing around in a million artistic directions. I knew I wanted something static, that I could work on without it changing. Fake flowers as a still life were the perfect choice! They wouldn't wilt in the direct studio light, and I could make them do whatever I wanted. Still, I wanted it to be simple, so I refined my collection subject a step further.  From left to right: Rose-Bauer Duet (oil, 6"x8"), Voodoo (oil, 6"x8"), and Peace (oil, 6"x6"). I own a single beautiful silk rose, bought at a specialty store last year. If I had to guess, it's modeled on the Peace hybrid tea rose. So I decided all ten of my paintings for the collection would be based on this single r

Mean Critic Meets Scary Progress

I'm continuing to work on my value studies and bouncing all over the place, both with subject and with medium. I swear that one of these days I'll find my lane. There are things I like and dislike about oils, acrylic, and watercolor. There's not a perfect medium, but oils sure are easier for working on composition and value.  As the year is coming to an end, I'm wrapping some things up and getting ready to launch other things. I went through my last three years of paintings (about 150) and categorized them as keep for myself, make available for gifts or purchase, or repurpose (at first I had labeled them trash, but that just seemed so mean, and I really can use the paper for other things). With the gift/sell category, I created a PowerPoint file with all available paintings, categorized by subject. Each was labeled and priced...a scary declaration on my part that my creativity is valuable. In the coming year, I will use this file to create a new website for my growing a

Her Rose, My Rose

 As mentioned in my last post, I've signed up for Dreama Tolle Perry's Flow class. My intention with this class is to watch one of her demos and replay it while I paint along with it, recreating "her" painting. Then I plan to take what I learned in that demo and create "my" version. Eventually, I'd like to paint my version in oil, acrylics, and watercolor...trying to figure out which medium I prefer.  The first oil painting demo I chose to watch was a backlit rose in a small glass jar. I love roses, and when I ventured into oils the first time, I painted a lovely rose from my garden. This is the only painting from that era that I liked. As a side note, I have nine hybrid tea roses and four floribundas around the house. And since I'm in northern California, there are blooms on these plants for nine months out of the year! What a treat.  I really should paint these beauties more often.  I'm happy with both paintings but for different reasons. The p